The Communications Coordinator (part-time), contributes to the efficient and effective ministry work of the main office and is accountable to the Executive Assistant (operational) and the Personnel Team of Session (administrative). This staff member utilizes his/her communications and organizational skills to work collaboratively and respectfully with the Ministers, staff members and volunteers to ensure a positive ministry environment.
The successful candidate may or may not have formal training in various Communications tools or course work, however is a self-motivated, positive individual who knows how to use graphic design programs and various social media platforms, is familiar with Publisher, Word, Powerpoint, Easy Worship, Hoot Suite, MailChimp, and other website interfaces, and is a proficient writer. A thoughtful, collegial strategic approach to how Communications is implemented at the Church will be required, as well as an openness to participate in weekly staff meetings and occasional retreats.
The Communications Coordinator has a critical eye to the execution of communications messages and will provide recommendations and suggestions for improvement. The job description lists the areas of responsibilities under the following categories but not necessarily in order of priority, and does not preclude the assignment of other tasks as and when required.
In the context of Community-Building and Community Relations, the Communications Coordinator will liaise with the Lead Minister on a weekly basis to ensure all is ready for worship each week. Some duties associated with this include:
- Prepares and prints worship guides and inserts
- Prepares PowerPoint announcements and worship presentations e.g. hymns, responsive readings, etc.
- Supports worship volunteers with slides/videos
- Develops and implements communications needs for the church in consultation with the Lead Minister;
- Ensures branding and messaging are consistent, and materials are created in a professional and effective way, and makes use of a style guide;
- Creates a strategy for social media;
- Publishes all church materials including but not limited to the following:
- ConnXions (our monthly newsletter, supported by a volunteer team); annual congregational report; promotional material; CCLI reports (music licensing);
- Implements the social media plan for the church and ensures there is a team (volunteer) in place to support this plan, when required;
- Manages the church Facebook page, website, and responds to enquiries regarding the web site
- Has good relational skills and is able to work with volunteers
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field (graphic design, public relations or communications preferred). New grads are welcome to apply;
- Experience in writing, designing, social media and community–building is preferred;
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and able to manage multiple projects with competing tasks and deadlines;
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office, graphic design programs, and web design;
- Flexibility to work outside of regular work hours for occasional meetings and events, etc.;
- Experience in the non-profit sector is preferred, and working with volunteers is an asset. Interest in moving the Church’s mission forward is mandatory.
- The Communications Coordinator makes it his/her job to know what is happening around the church and consciously think of thoughtful and creative ways to promote and support these events and activities;
- Externally, the Communications Coordinator will assist the Minister for Families as greater focus is put on the initiative South of Fish Creek;
- Externally, the Communications Coordinator will consider ways to reach potential newcomers from the wider community;
- This role will have a conscious focus on supporting the ministry of St. Andrew’s Church through communication and engagement opportunities internally
- Salary will be commensurate with experience
Work Hour Expectations:
This will be a part-time role with 20 hours per week. Most of this work will be done in the office, however, allowance for working from a home office, at times, will be permitted. Expectation is that those 20 hours will be spread out over the course of the week. This time arrangement has some flexibility.
Please Contact the office for information on how to apply. [email protected]